The mention of the term ‘community living’ in the Indian context sounds rather paradoxical, even though it is fast gaining popularity in the real estate sector. The country’s tradition of one giant family living under the same roof has been on a breakdown ever since there was a spurt in youngsters moving out of their homes to study or work. Coupled with that, their urge to live lives of greater independence emptied the ‘nest’ sooner than later. The emergence of a nuclear family system has been apparent; with a survey claiming there are almost 90 per cent families in Delhi that are no longer a part of the joint family system. In such a scenario, those that are left behind at home are a new generation of educated, independent, financially stable, and often well-traveled 60-plus-year-old who are looking for a place to retire comfortably. A Forbes article quotes real estate investment company Jones Lang Lasalle estimating that by 2050, there will be more than 240 million people in the 60-plus age bracket. This has resulted in some foresighted real estate developers to carve a niche in the senior living format for a fast growing demographic.
The Tricity has, of late, seen a sharp rise in high-rise complexes owing to an increasing population and space constraints. This comes as a blessing in disguise for those seeking the many benefits of communal living. Here’s why it is the best bet as a senior living facility:
- Residential clusters such as apartments or group housing projects offer the security of a closely-knit social fabric. The proximity of residences can be immensely comforting to an elderly couple.
- Quite a few real estate developers offer buyers the option of designing/re-modelling homes to suit their needs. Homes that can be customised to suit the senior citizens’ requirements, choices, and objectives bring a sense of independence and convenience.
- Most modern-day group housing plans or apartment offer the comfort of living in self-sustaining neighborhoods. Replete with their own green cover, recreation centers, clubs, restaurants, and grocery stores, they spare residents the worry of travelling outside to avail basic necessities. This comes in handy for senior residents.
- When the developer of a housing project is a reliable name, buyers are assured of updated amenities and regular maintenance. The convenience of having any malfunctions looked after, without having to face the hassle of finding appropriate workmen and resources, is too big a relief for those aren’t very mobile.
- Residential clusters make for sound investment options since well-designed and Eco-friendly community living spaces with high-quality infrastructure witness higher capital appreciation over time.
The senior citizens, having done their fair share of hard work in life, deserve to retire in a facility that offers them the ties of close bonds in neighbors and the comfort of a well-constructed, secure home. Bringing quality community living to the fore may be a huge leap for a society that cherishes its aged.